Interested in getting into the fun and exciting world of plumbing? We don’t blame you. Service professions can be one of the most rewarding careers on the market..and the most lucrative.
What do they say? The most recession-proof jobs are morticians, tax accountants and the folks who come to the rescue when your basement is flooded. Plumbing is a $105 billion market that continues to increase year over year.
In short, there will always be the need for plumbing services no matter if you live in the deserts of Phoenix or the suburbs of Cleveland.
So what do you need to get your business up and running? We’ve got you covered.
Make a Plan…Business Plan That Is
Creating a business plan can seem like a big..and boring…undertaking to get things off the ground, but it’s vital to making your business a success.
A business plan can be as simple or complex as you’d like but make sure it covers the following:
- Your plumbing business name. Don’t stress on getting too “creative.” A name can be simple and to the point. For example, The Plumbing People or Joe’s Plumbing Inc. are perfect for a plumbing business, and not too hard to remember. Just make sure it hasn’t already been taken. Don’t forget to register your business!
- Your target market. You’ll need to decide what your target demographics are including age, income, building type, etc. Do your research, especially to see what your competitors cover, and see what insights you find.
- Your area. Here’s another good place for competitive research. Is there a hole in the market by location that you can fill? An underserved area that can use your plumbing services?
- Your fee. This is the big question. Flat-Rate or Time and Materials (T&M)? Here’s more info to help you decide.
- Your awesomeness. Every successful business as their own USP (unique selling point). Figure out what will make your business stand out and why.
Get That License
As with all things in adult life, you need to get a license. It’s super illegal to run a plumbing company without one, so make this the first thing you do on your journey to building that plumbing empire.
To help you get started, here’s a quick breakdown of how to become a licensed plumber:
- Check your state’s requirements for licensing. Every state has their own licensing requirements. Check your state and make sure you follow their guidelines to a tee.
- Register at your local certification program or trade school. Your local community college is a good place to start and should have several options for getting your certification.
- Become a plumbing apprentice. It may sound medieval, but yes there are still such things as “apprentices.” These guys and gals work under a licensed or Master Plumber for a period of time, learning the ropes of plumbing greatness. And yep, this step is usually required.
- Pass your exam. Yeah there’s a test…
- Train to be a Master Plumber. To really get your business off the ground you’ll need to take this final step. In most states, you’ll need to be a “Master Plumber” to own your business.
You’ll need some essential plumbing tools and equipment to get started. Don’t worry about buying the most expensive thing off the menu though. This can be salmon, not lobster. Look for deals on used tools or look into renting the bigger equipment you might need for speciality jobs.
Outside of the basics, don’t forget items like a sturdy pair of shoes and several uniforms to keep up a professional appearance for each job.
Build Your Own Website
In this day and age, you have to have a digital presence. As with your name though, you don’t need to go full Steve Jobs. Just a simple WordPress site works great.
Be sure to include customer reviews and links to your social media accounts. Oh yeah, create social media accounts. Facebook and Instagram are a must. So is Yelp. Onward!
Invest in Field Management Software
Getting that plumbing business set up can seem daunting. One way you can take the edge off is by investing in a solid piece of technology such as field management software,
Field management software keeps all your day-to-day tasks in one easy-to-access place. No more fishing for papers in the glove box of your truck. Just grab your phone and go.
Benefits of Field Management Software
- Concise and speedy invoicing
- Easy scheduling for you and your service technicians
- Clear digital contracts
- Manage your teams from anywhere
- Communicate directly with customers
- And much more
Keeping all of your daily tasks in one app will ensure that you never miss a beat. And it will earn you the respect and admiration of your customers — who are sure to recommend you to their friends.
Becoming a plumber can be a rewarding and fun experience. Once the bones of your organization are set up, you’ll be able to expand and grow your business over time.
Don’t wait to become the Master Plumber of your dreams. Get started today!